Native Plant Rescue Project

This is my first blog post ever, so i'm giving y'all a little bit of background in this post. I'm a native of western N.C. and a lover of the outdoors. I've been in the landscaping field for most of my adult life, and now I'm splitting my time between gardening jobs, making pottery, and growing things here on this beautiful, wooded property on the north slope of a mountain in Swannanoa, North Carolina. It's mid-April and everything is greening up before our eyes! It's all i can do to coax myself inside to cook dinner before the sun sets in the evening. There's just too much to do, and it's all so exciting! We're starting a farm! We wont quit our day jobs, but we're excited about it none the less. It'll be a work in progress, as everything in life is really. Matt has been working on the property in his spare time for years. I joined him here in 2015, and we've been dreaming and working together ever since. We share our home with two sweet hound dog mixes, LeeRoy and Tellico, and a crazy cat, Itty Bitty, who is sure she's a dog. Some of our long term goals for the property include goats, pigs, fruit trees, sculpture and ceramics studios, and nature trails galore! This year we're expanding the chicken (laying hen) operation, creating a garden space for sun loving crops, and working on a little bit of everything in between. This spring, as Matt works on the big projects like chicken coops, terracing garden beds, and grading roads, i've been planting veggies and working to rescue all of the beautiful, medicinal, and otherwise valuable plants that grow in the path of destruction; Trillium, Bloodroot, Black Cohosh and some of the Dwarf Crested Iris pictured on the home page, just to name a few. This has been my first real step towards my dream (I have a lot of dreams!) of becoming a grower of native and medicinal plants. I have a lifetime of knowledge to acquire and I'm looking forward to sharing what I learn along the way! Cheers!

Comments

  1. I hope you will write about your work and your new kiln as you are building it. XX M

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sure will Meredith! Summer has been extra busy with my newest venture of selling produce at market, which has been really fun! I'm going to start giving myself time to sit, reflect and write again though. It's good for the soul. I'm really enjoying reading yours! xx

      Delete

Post a Comment